This 5-day certification training gives participants both the practical skills and regulatory knowledge to understand the nature of money laundering and terrorist financing, how money is laundered and your responsibilities when criminal offences are committed, best practices to prevent it happening and Nigeria’s relevant laws and regulations.
Terrorist bodies and the financing of their activities have generated a focus on cross-border transactions. The financing of both drug and people trafficking are issues that Nigerian and global regulators continuously work to prevent and Nigeria’s AML regulations now extend to the insurance, legal, accounting, real estate, gaming, extractive and religious sectors, in addition to its banks.
This intensive and highly practical certification training provides you with all of the essential knowledge you need to become proficient in the Anti-Money Laundering process.
It is the responsibility of individuals and professionals working within regulated industry sectors to follow procedures to prevent and report knowledge and suspicion of money laundering and to this end, the training is structured as follows:
- Understanding Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Sanctions, the FATF and International Sanctions Framework.
- Anti-money laundering and combating terrorist financing in practice – overview of the 5 days.
- What are the Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing and Sanctions risks that must be managed?
- The Risk-based Approach to money laundering and counter-terrorist financing – What is a Risk-based Approach?
- Nigeria’s Legal and Regulatory Frameworks
- Taking an AML/CFT Risk-based Approach and practical risk management
- Initial and ‘Ongoing’ Customer Due Diligence (CDD)
- PEPs, and RCAs, SOW and SOF and Enhanced Due Diligence
- Monitoring Activity and Transactions
- Recognising and Reporting Suspicions
Sector by sector, case studies and role-play.
- Emerging Trends
- Wider Economic Pressures
- Blockchain and CryptoCurrency
- Crowdfunding and Social Media Terrorist Financing
As a participant you will be able to:
- Recognise how and why criminal proceeds are laundered, including a three-stage model of placement, layering and integration
- Understand the basic requirements of the FATF standards and 40 Recommendations
- Understand what Nigeria’s Anti Money Laundering Regulations are
- Recognise the importance of conducting a money-laundering risk assessment
- Understand anti-money laundering policies, procedures and controls
- Conduct Due Diligence and Enhanced Due Diligence
- Identify Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs)
- Recognise the importance of keeping adequate records
- Report Suspicious Activity appropriately and in accordance with the law
The course is designed for those who work in the insurance, legal, accounting, real estate, gaming, extractive, religious and banking sectors, and regulators who are looking to develop their understanding of anti-money laundering.
Participants of this training typically include:
- Money Laundering Reporting Officers and their Deputies
- Financial Crime Officers
- Risk Managers
- Compliance Officers
- Funds Managers/Officers
- Auditors and Accountants
- Tax Advisors
- Church Administrators
- Mining Companies
- Real Estate Developers
- Gaming Companies
- Insurance Managers
- Client Relations, Marketing and Sales executives
- It is designed and written by experienced EBII Group AML professionals.
- Live virtual workshops and materials are designed for working professionals.
- Sector-specific case studies that provide realistic scenarios, promote the assimilation of new information and application of critical thinking
- Role-play in a safe environment to build confidence in new behaviours, develop creative problem-solving and share relevant experience
- The virtual classrooms can be recorded and made available for a small fee.
- Successful participants achieving assessment scores exceeding 80% will receive EBII Group certification.
- All participants will receive certificates of attendance.
Format, Delivery and Assessment
This certification training is being delivered live, in virtual online workshops across two weeks.
Enrolment in this training workshop with full payment of fees will include:
- access to the live, web-based virtual workshops;
- soft copy pdf course reading materials and worksheets;
- a certification assessment on the last day;
- One further to resit the assessment to achieve a certificate of certification.
The course is assessed by way of a 60-minute online test comprising 30 multiple-choice questions on the last day of the training workshop in week 2. Results are available on the day.
The test questions are drawn from across the syllabus and candidates must achieve 80% in order to achieve certification.